It’s been quite a long while since I’ve posted anything, so I just wanted to put something up to reaffirm that I’m still here
It has been a busy few weeks for me in the world outside my workbench, so progress has been slow on the active projects. Here’s an overview of what’s going on:
- Macbook “full-featured” controller board: Boards hare arrived, waiting on component delivery (due Thursday). This will include demos of some new and lower-cost components which will eventually make their way into other boards.
- iPad “full-featured” controller board: On hold pending redesign for cost reduction and results of Macbook hardware evaluation (as much of the hardware is shared). Will leapfrog the Macbook and iPad boards until I am satisfied with how they work. Also am working on the software for this board. I’m really trying to get a USB firmware update utility built, but I’m new to the Kinetis platform so I’m having some trouble. Has anyone out there built a DFU loader for a KL25 that can share some pointers?
- Macbook camera board: I ordered a 2-layer version (inner layers are all GND) some weeks ago to test, and that worked fine. Now the proper 4-layer boards are in and I need to build one of those up. But I’m satisfied with the design in general so I should be releasing those documents as soon as I get the ambition.
- iPad touch panel: Oof… haven’t touched that one for a while. Need more free time…
- Reflow oven: I found some proper convection-type ovens at the local Wal-Mart for around $40 which will save me plenty of work in installing my own stir fan, so I may well be starting over. For now I’m getting too comfortable running the boards freehand with a temperature probe though…
- LP173WF2: Working on an interface board to take advantage of the connector hack I implemented. In progress, no ETA
So that’s that. Not much to show at the moment. But hopefully that’ll change this weekend when I get some work done on the Macbook boards.
Plus! I just this weekend got my new milling machine up and running! So expect some metalworking projects to start showing up from time to time.
That’s all for now.
[EDIT 9/9/13] Hey, progress!
The Macbook board mostly works! Backlight driver is putting out on the low side of its designed voltage and the firmware is only complete enough to force everything on, but other than that, it seems to run pretty OK. Full post on this hopefully tomorrow.